Learning how to cook laksa the right way opens so many new avenues for Singaporean cuisine. For example, this dish blends together 2 awesome hawker favourites: creamy salted egg and spicy laksa! The molten surprise guests get when they cut into the mashed potato is a creative take on Singapore food that is both picture-perfect and delicious to boot!
Mashed Potato Lava
- 250g Knorr Mashed Potato Flakes
- 7g salt
- 900ml water
- 400ml milk
- 50g grated parmesan
- 30ml oil
- 20g shallots
- 4 pcs red chilli
- 10g dried chilli
- 2 pcs of lemongrass
- 10g turmeric
- 5g shrimp paste
- 10g dried shrimp
- 250ml coconut milk
- 15g Knorr Chicken Powder, diluted in 250 ml water
- 15ml fish sauce
- 2g Knorr Lime Powder, diluted in water
- 8 sheets of gelatine
Salted Egg Prawn
- 150g medium prawns
- 1 egg white
- 50g rice flour
- 2.5g Knorr Chicken Powder
- Oil for frying
- 10ml corn oil
- 25g unsalted butter
- 17g Knorr Golden Salted Egg Power
- 5g red chilli, sliced thin
- 3g curry leaves
Mashed Potato Lava
- Heat water and salt until boiling, then add milk and Knorr Mashed Potato Flakes. Mix well then set aside.
- Add all the ingredients into the food processor and blend into a paste.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large wok or heavy pan over medium.
- Add laksa paste and stir until fragrant. Lower the heat, then let it cook for about 3–4 minutes more.
- Add the coconut milk and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and let it simmer for around 10 minutes to infuse flavour.
- Add the chicken stock and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Then, add fish sauce and Knorr Lime Powder to taste.
- Soak the gelatine in cold water, then add to the laksa soup. Mix well, then let it cool before storing it in the freezer to let it set.
- Spoon the mashed potato into a mold, then fill the center with the laksa that was previously set. Cover the laksa with more mashed potato.
Salted Egg Prawns
- Season the prawns with Knorr Chicken Powder, then add egg white.
- Coat the prawn with rice flour, then deep fry until crisp and golden brown.
- Place the cooked prawn on paper towels until it’s time to assemble the dish.
- Heat the oil in a small wok, add the butter and stir until melted. Add the curry leaves and the red chillies, then add the Knorr Golden Salted Egg Powder.
- Toss the prawns in the sauce.
- Remove the mashed potato from the mold, then put in the serving bowl.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, and then bake it at 180°C for about 5 minutes.
- Plate the potato dome with salted egg prawn on the side, then garnish.