The popular and versatile shellfish, mussels, get smothered in a rich white wine-tomato sauce loaded with black olives for a lip-smacking dining experience. It’s so good, your diners will crave seconds.
Watch the Pasta with Mussels, Tomato and Olives recipe video
This mouth-watering pasta dish is surprisingly easy to make, thanks to Knorr Tomato Pronto. If you want to give your mussels extra oomph, watch the video below for a tip.
Get a tip on how to add a boost of flavour to your mussels!
Chef’s tips & techniques
- Partially remove the mussel shells before serving for ease of eating.
- Make sure all elements are well mixed for maximum flavour.
- You can also use penne pasta and spaghetti if you can’t find mezzanelli.
- Nutritional tip: Did you know? Olives are a rich source of Vitamin E.
- Chef Mark’s top tip: “To avoid the garlic from burning, add it after the mussels.”
What other seafood/shellfish works well with the tomato sauce?
Use other shellfish such as vongole or regional molluscs.
- 500g mezzanelli or spaghetti
- 30g olive oil
- 80g finely chopped shallots
- 1 garlic bulb
- 200g celery small cubes
- 200g carrot small cubes
- 100ml white wine
- 300ml Knorr Tomato Pronto
- 1 lemon
- Salted capers (rinse the capers in cold water)
- Taggiasca olives (small black olives)
- Boil the pasta al dente in water with salt until 3/4 cooked
- Mix with some olive oil and let it cool down on a tray
- Roast the garlic in the oven at 150°C until puffed and soft
- Clean the roasted garlic, chop and keep aside
- Fry the onion, celery and carrot in olive oil
- Add the white wine and allow the alcohol to boil out
- Add 1 tablespoon of the chopped garlic
- Add Knorr Tomato Pronto and simmer for 5 minutes
- Season the sauce with salt and black pepper
- Add the mussels to the sauce and boil until they open
- Squeeze some lime juice into the sauce
- Mix with the pasta and serve
- Spoon the pasta and mussels into a deep plate
- Decorate with the olives and capers
- Finish with parsley and grated Parmesan cheese