Packed with vitamins and nutrients, asparagus is delicious and can be prepared in many ways. Serve these tender green and white stalks with complements of ham, potatoes, and eggs dressed in hollandaise sauce for a dish that's truly wow.
Watch the Asparagus à la Flamande recipe video
This Belgian favourite is healthy, easy to make and a treat to both the eyes and the taste buds. Watch the video below and see how to use Knorr Mashed Potato to create an innovative side dish for your asparagus.
Get a tip on how to create your delicious side dish!
Chef’s tips & techniques
- French beans or haricot verts are a great substitute. They’re more affordable, plus their natural sweetness and crunchy texture will blend well with the rest of the ingredients.
- Use small new potatoes and fill with Knorr Mashed Potatoes.
- Nutritional tip: Did you know? Asparagus is 93% water. It is low in calories is a good source of vitamin B6.
If I don’t have white asparagus, what can I use for á la flamande?
Green or purple asparagus will also work with this recipe.
Can I make Asparagus á la Flamande without ham?
You can substitute ham with any type of smoked fish or other types of cured meats like prosciutto or speck.
- 40 white or green asparagus, or a mix
- 60g clarified butter
- 15 small potatoes
- 300g prepared Knorr Mashed Potato
- 100ml crème fraiche
- Sorrel leaves
- 10 eggs
- 20 slices boiled ham
- 350ml Knorr Hollandaise Sauce
- Peel and boil the asparagus in water with salt
- Keep them warm and sprinkle them with clarified butter
- Boil the potatoes in their skin, cut in half and scoop out
- Prepare the mashed potato and mix with crème fraiche
- Fill the potatoes with the creamy mash
- Boil the eggs for 3 minutes so they stay soft, then peel them
- Season with sea salt
- Heat up the ham in a low temperature oven
- Heat the Knorr Hollandaise Sauce
- Place the asparagus on a warm plate
- Place the ham, potatoes and the egg around the asparagus
- Pour the sauce over the top or bottom halves of the asparagus
- Garnish with sorrel leaves and finely chopped chives