Usually eaten in winter, this French appetiser is so delicious and simple to make, your dinner guests will want to enjoy it whatever the season. This version of juicy cod and potatoes is layered with golden breadcrumbs, and then baked to perfection.
Watch the Brandade with Cod and Spinach recipe video
Enjoyed all over Europe, Brandade with Cod and Spinach is traditionally served with bread and potatoes. Watch the video below to discover a great accompaniment to this dish.
Get a tip on a great sauce to complement your recipe!
Chef’s tips & techniques
- This dish is simple to make, so it’s perfect for preparing in large quantities.
- Instead of cod, you can use other white fish such as pacific halibut or haddock.
- Add lemon zest before serving to give it a fragrant, citrus aroma.
- Nutritional tip: Did you know? 100g of fresh spinach contains about 25% of your daily iron intake.
- 1.8kg prepared Knorr Mashed Potato
- 1.3kg fresh cod
- 450g onion
- 100g butter
- 200ml crème fraiche
- 500g fresh spinach
- 20ml lemon juice
- Japanese breadcrumbs (panko)
- Prepare the Knorr Mashed Potato and mix with crème fraiche
- Cool down to room temperature
- Clean and cut the onions in half moon shapes
- Fry the onions in butter until they are soft
- Cut the cod in cubes 3 x 3 cm
- Season the cod cubes with salt and pepper
- Mix the cod with the onions and potato mash
- Wash and dry the spinach and mix with the other ingredients
- Season with lime juice and salt
- Divide the mixture over the cocottes
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and some melted butter
- Bake in the oven for approximately 25 minutes on 175°C
- Make sure the breadcrumbs are a nice golden brown
- Grate some lemon skin over the warm brandade