There are many ways to make your menu healthier. Here, we’ll discuss some common practices to help you create healthier, tasty meals for your diners.
Understanding food labels
Food labels give information about the product, including its nutritional content. Knowing how to properly read food labels and communicating the nutritional content to your diners can help them make healthier choices. This can be done in a number of ways:
- Have nutrition information read to share with diners when asked.
- Use nutritional information to create balanced, varied and healthier meals.
- Identify potential food allergens and highlight to diners.
- Plan special diets for specific concerns such as sodium, fat, cholesterol and calories.
Characteristics of healthy meals
Learn the characteristics of healthy meals and how to use them to create a better menu for your restaurant. A healthy menu should:
- Be packed with adequate nutrients.
- Have balanced nutrients.
- Have moderate quantities of recommended nutrients.
- Offer variety in food ingredients and nutrient sources.