How well do you know your customers? It’s vital to gain knowledge of the profiles and preferences of your clientele so you can cater to their needs. Here, get to know the different types of diners that your food business can attract.
Understanding Different Types of Diners
1. The discerning diner
The quality of food is the most crucial consideration for the discerning diner. They are gourmets who know what they want and expect the best overall experience. Here are some tips on how to satisfy these restaurant diners:
- Restaurant atmosphere – Simple and elegant
- Menu – Informative and enticing
- Dining room arrangement – Professional table setting with a good selection of cutlery, linen, and glassware
- Service – Well-trained and knowledgeable service staff
- Drinks – Exclusive and unique wines and beverage list
2. The entertainment-seeking eater
Do you know about the type of guest who is always looking to have a good time with friends? The entertainment-seeking diner seeks enjoyment in food and company. Take a look at these tips to help appeal to them:
- Restaurant atmosphere – Lively cheerful and exciting
- Menu – Reasonably priced
- Dining room arrangement – Simple arrangement that encourages conversation
- Service – Informal, fun, and enthusiastic
- Drinks – A range of entertaining, unique drinks
3. The high-end customer
The most significant factors for the high-end diner are the ambiance and experience. Price is not an issue for them as long as the food, service, and overall dining experience meet their expectations. They are the type to value excellent customer service in restaurants. See how to satisfy the high-end diner:
- Restaurant atmosphere – Exclusive and sophisticated
- Menu – Must communicate luxury, quality, and exclusivity
- Dining room arrangement – High quality, formal, and elegant
- Service – Impeccable, well-trained, and knowledgeable
- Drinks – Impressive wine list to pair with food
4. The adventurous gourmand
Always up for a new experience, the adventurous diner is confident and self-assured. They take pride in finding new places that offer unique concepts and menu items. Here are a few ideas on how to assist this diner in your restaurant:
- Restaurant atmosphere – Offer a unique dining experience
- Menu – Distinct, exciting, and new
- Dining room arrangement – Nontraditional and fun
- Service – Prompt, informal, and fun
- Drinks – Beverages unique to your restaurant
5. The social guest
They may have similarities, but the social diner differs from the entertainment-seeking type. Eating out for them is more about connecting with friends and family over a nice quiet meal. Below are some ideas to help you cater to the social diner:
- Restaurant atmosphere – Warm and welcoming
- Menu – Wide range of cuisines with communal dishes to promote sharing
- Dining room arrangement – Informal and allows interaction among guests
- Service – Friendly and well-trained
- Drinks – Simple, refillable, and suitable for serving
Marketing Strategies to Attract Diners
Now that you’ve looked at the different diner types and their preferences, it’s time to start developing a marketing plan. Here are some general guidelines:
- Choose your market – Find out who your diners are.
- Determine your unique selling point – What makes your restaurant different?
- Analyze the competition – Compare the prices and offerings of your close competitors.
- Identify untapped business opportunities – Consider delivery, takeaway, and business lunches.
- Finalize the marketing expense budget – Include costs for direct mail, entertainment, and advertising.
- Plan marketing activities and time frame – Introduce an action calendar to organize the marketing activities and strategies.
Understanding the different types of diners can help you make better business decisions. Make sure you’ve chosen which kind best fits your establishment. From there, you can improve your marketing and operations.
If you are wondering how to cut costs, preparation, and cooking time with Knorr Professional's commercial-sized ingredients, subscribe to our newsletter for more tips and recipes straight to your inbox.
We’re here to help you and your business, whatever the size or scale of it.
Congratulations, you’ve completed 5 Diner Types & Their Needs topic!
Pick a related topic from the Understanding Your Diners module, or go back to the Chefmanship Academy modules page.