The delicious, creamy salted egg flavour has taken the Philippines by storm and continues to win diners over with its tantalising taste. Now it’s not just used in main dishes and snacks but in desserts too, as its savoury taste balances the sweet while its luscious smooth texture makes every meal even more satisfying.
Watch the Salted Egg Custard Buns recipe video
Imagine sinking your teeth into a delightfully fluffy bun and biting into a tasty sweet-savoury molten centre filled with creamy salted egg flavour. Now you can create all that mouth-watering deliciousness easily with Knorr Golden Salted Egg Powder. Plus, watch our tip on serving up the flowing salted egg goodness without making a mess in the kitchen.
Here’s a tip for a no-mess salted egg sauce!
Ingredients (good for 5 portions)
- 30g Knorr Golden Salted Egg Powder 800g
- 45ml Condensed Milk
- 30g Unsalted Butter
- 50ml Coconut Milk
- 3g Custard Powder
- 190g Water
- 0.50 tbsp Instant Dry Yeast
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 270g All Purpose Flour
- 2 tbsp Baking Powder
- 2g Salt
- 100g Flour
- Using a food processor, mix until everything is well combined.
- Add milk and milk powder until everything is incorporated.
- Transfer to a mold weighing 25g and freeze overnight.
- Using a thermomix, place water into mixing bowl and mix 30 sec/37C/speed 3.
- Pour water in another container, add yeast, sugar and oil rest for 4 minutes.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix for 10 sec/speed 6. Add yeast mixture and knead 2 min 30 sec/close lid/kneading symbol.
- Roll out dough into flat oblong shape, form a cylinder and cut into 40g each.
- Arrange in tray and cover with clean towel.
- Rise in a warm place(50C) for 25 minutes. Set aside.
- Flatten the dough to give ample space for the frozen custard filling.
- Seal it by pinching the ends towards the centre.
- Line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Steam for 5-8 minutes.