- Guests feel more special because they are served directly.
- Forecasting and portioning are more accurate.
- The bottom line is easier to estimate.
- Skilled staff is required to serve and portion communal dishes.
- Operators must be familiar with the number of meals and drinks, presentation, and sequence of dishes as each must properly communicate the host’s good wishes and the joy of the celebration.
- It requires more tableware than Western-style banquets.
Onsite and offsite banquet catering
Whether you’re organizing a buffet, sit-down or Chinese banquet, take note of the comparisons of onsite and offsite catering.
- It uses in-house equipment.
- No setup is required.
- No extra manpower is needed.
- It happens in a familiar, controlled environment with known food safety considerations.
- Complex logistics are required to transport and set up.
- It requires more manpower for set up.
- It has higher logistical costs.
- It occurs in an unfamiliar cooking environment with higher food safety risks.
- It has a relatively higher profit margin (client covers extra costs and services).
Now that you have a better understanding of the main types of banquet setup, you should be more equipped to decide what style would help your business thrive.
Congratulations, you’ve completed the 3 Popular Banquet Types, Their Benefits, and Challenges topic!
Continue to the next topic, pick a related topic from the Banqueting module, or go back to the Chefmanship Academy modules page.