This comforting soup dish is perfect for cold rainy days. Take bulalo up a notch by adding beef ribs to the recipe!
- 45ml Canola Oil
- 20g Ginger, sliced
- 150g White Onions, sliced into quarters
- 30g Garlic Cloves, bruised
- 1200g Beef Short ribs, 2" cubes
- 60ml Fish Sauce
- 4000ml Water
- 100g Lemongrass Stalks, bruised
- 60g Knorr Beef Broth
- 500g Beef Tendons
- 250g Ground Beef
- 170g Ground Pork
- 10ml Fish Sauce
- 8g Knorr Beef Seasoning
- 60g Knorr Oyster Sauce
- 60g White Onions, finely minced
- 5g Coriander Leaves
- Oil for frying
- 30g Knorr Rock Sugar Honey Sauce
- 1 tsp Ground White Pepper
- 100g Tagalog Pechay, leafy part only
- 2 pcs Corn on the Cob, boiled, grilled, and shredded
Beef Ribs and Broth
- In a heavy bottom sauce pot, add oil.
- Sweat the ginger, onion and garlic until fragrant.
- Add the short ribs. Let the meat brown a bit.
- Season with fish sauce.
- Pour in the water.
- Add the lemongrass stalks and the Knorr Beef Broth. Bring to a boil then turn it down to simmer. Cook for 3 hours or until beef is tender. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- When the meat is already tender, strain from the broth. Remove the other vegetables from the broth as well.
- Remove the excess fat from the broth. Combine the short ribs and the broth once again.
- To prepare the tendons, boil in water with bay leaves, peppercorns and coriander root.
- Cook in the pressure cooker for 30-35 minutes or until the tenders are cooks through and almost tender.
- Cut into 2 inch segments.
- Add tendons to the pot of simmering short ribs.
- Combine all the ingredients for the meatballs. Form into 25g meatballs.
- Shallow fry the meatballs until golden brown to help hold its shape before adding it to the beef broth (the meatballs do not have to be cooked through).
- Place over paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Add the meat balls to the simmering broth.
- Cook until the meatballs are cooked through.
- To finish the soup, add the rock sugar and let it cook until it has melted.
- Season with ground white pepper.
- To serve, portion the short ribs, tendon and 2 meatballs in each serving bowl.
- Pour the hot soup over the meat.
- Top with chiffonade of fresh pechay leaves and corn kernel.